Can I keep my traffic ticket off my driving (Department of Licensing) record?

If you have received a traffic infraction, you may be eligible for a Deferred Finding. You may qualify for a Deferred Finding under RCW 46.63.070 if you have not taken this option on a traffic ticket within the last seven years. Upon successful completion of the deferral conditions your ticket will be dismissed. You may defer only one moving infraction and one non-moving infraction every seven years.

The Judge cannot grant a Deferred Finding if you have a commercial driver's license or were operating a commercial motor vehicle at the time of the violation. The Judge also may not grant a Deferred Finding if the infraction is Negligent Driving in the Second Degree.

You must fill out and return the request for a Deferred Finding form (PDF), or request a court hearing, within 15 days from the date your ticket was issued if you want to request a Deferred Finding.

Show All Answers

1. What do I do if I receive a ticket for a traffic infraction?
2. What is a mitigation hearing?
3. What is a contested hearing?
4. May I have a lawyer at a contested hearing?
5. Can I mitigate or contest my ticket by mail instead of appearing in court?
6. Can I keep my traffic ticket off my driving (Department of Licensing) record?
7. If I request a court hearing and later decide to pay my ticket do I have to appear for my court hearing?
8. Will a traffic infraction appear on my driving record?
9. What if I do not pay my ticket or appear for a hearing?
10. What about a no liability insurance ticket?
11. What if I can't pay my penalty all at once?