Are there City Business and Occupation Taxes?

As an incorporated city, one way Bainbridge Island raises revenue is through its Business & Occupation (B&O) Tax levied on businesses doing business on the island. Businesses with gross receipts of more than $150,000 earned on Bainbridge Island are subject to the City’s B&O Tax set at 1/10 of 1%. The tax is filed annually reporting gross revenue for the prior calendar year. This B&O Tax is separate from and in addition to the Washington State B&O Tax. 

The City mails a personalized B&O Tax Report to our businesses in January each year. B&O Tax Returns and tax payments are due by April 15th. If the 15th falls on a weekend the return, and any applicable payment is due on the next business day. Full instructions for completing the City's B&O Tax Return and information on penalties are available on the B&O Tax webpage.

Important note: Nonprofit organizations are only subject to Business and Occupation Taxes when undertaking for-profit activities.

If you have questions about the City’s B&O Tax, please contact the Finance Department at (206)780-8591 or


Show All Answers

1. Who needs a City Endorsement on their State Business License?
2. How do I apply for or renew a City Endorsement on my State Business License?
3. Do I need a State of Washington Business License to obtain a City Endorsement?
4. How much does a City Endorsement on my State Business License cost?
5. Where do I post my Washington State Business License that includes my City of Bainbridge Island endorsement?
6. How do I renew my City Business License Endorsement?
7. Are there City Business and Occupation Taxes?
8. What if my business moves to a new location and/or the mailing address changes?
9. How do I cancel or close my State Business License with a City Endorsement?
10. What if I sell my business?