Water & Sewer
There are over 100 independent water companies on Bainbridge Island. Your property may be serviced by the City or by a community well or larger system. (See service area maps below.) At the City of Bainbridge Island, Finance & Administrative Services oversees utility billing whereas Public Works oversees the processes of water and sewer management. The Kitsap Public Health District (KPUD) regulates all water systems.
- COBI Utility Service Area and Billing Dates
- To start or stop utility service complete a Utility Service Change Form:
COBI Utility Rates (per month)*:
|Note: Your utility billing always reflects two (2) months of service.|
|Bainbridge Island Downtown||Jul 15, 2019**||Jan 1, 2020|
Jan 1, 2021
|Water Base Rate - Single Family||$11.59||$12.02||$12.45|
|Plus charge per volume:|
|Water Volume: 100cf - 500cf||$1.17 per 100||$1.22 per 100||$1.26 per 100|
|Water Volume: 501cf - 1,200cf||$1.89 per 100||$1.96 per 100||$2.03 per 100|
|Water Volume: 1,201cf - 3,000cf||$2.68 per 100||$2.78 per 100||$2.88 per 100|
|Water Volume: over 3,000cf||$3.65 per 100||$3.78 per 100||$3.92 per 100|
|Water Base Rate - Multi Family||$5.37 per unit||$5.37 per unit||$5.38 per unit|
|Plus charge per volume:|
|Water Volume||$1.11 per 100||$1.11 per 100||$1.11 per 100|
|Sewer Base Rate - Single Family||$42.69||$42.69||$42.69|
|Sewer Base Rate - Multi Family||$37.39 per unit||$37.39 per unit||$37.39 per unit|
|Sewer Volume||$7.28 per 100||$7.28 per 100||$7.28 per 100|
The national average water use for a family of four is approximately 1000 cubic feet (cf)1 each month. A home with an irrigation system can use considerably more. Apartment complexes use approximately 500 cf of water each month.
|1 100cf = 750 gallons. To place these measurements in perspective:|
COBI Utility Billing Dates:
The City of Bainbridge Island bills utilities every other month. Each bill represents two (2) months of consumption. Billing is processed the first week of the month and payment is due the last day of the month in which it is billed.
|Billing Month||Area Billed||Consumption Dates|
|January||Area A - Fletcher||Oct 15 - Dec 15|
|February||Area B - Wing Point||Nov 15 - Jan 15|
|March||Area A - Fletcher||Dec 15 - Feb 15|
|April||Area B - Wing Point||Jan 15 - Mar 15|
|May||Area A - Fletcher||Feb 15 - Apr 15|
|June||Area B - Wing Point||Mar 15 - May 15|
|July||Area A - Fletcher||Apr 15 - Jun 15|
|August||Area B - Wing Point||May 15 - Jul 15|
|September||Area A - Fletcher||Jun 15 - Aug 15|
|October||Area B - Wing Point||Jul 15 - Sep 15|
|November||Area A - Fletcher||Aug 15 - Oct 15|
|December||Area B - Wing Point||Sep 15 - Nov 15|
Summer Sewer Averaging (SSA)
During the summer months, the City understands not all water consumption is going into the sewer as household waste water. The City recognizes water for gardens, landscaping, etc., goes into the ground or the drain at the street. Therefore from June 15th to September 15th of each year, sewer consumption rates are based on average winter consumption.
Available Rebates and Discounts
- Low-Flow Toilet Rebate - If you are on the City’s sewer system and you replace a toilet that was installed before 1994, you may qualify for up to a $100 rebate. The date your toilet was manufactured is printed under the tank lid. (BIMC Chapter 13.14.110, Ordinance No. 99-23)
- To apply for rebate, submit proof of purchase and installation to Utility Billing. Contact Utility Billing at (206) 780-8614 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Low-Income Seniors/Low-Income Disabled Citizens - Bainbridge Island residents age 61 or older and who have a combined annual household income in an amount that qualifies them for property tax exemption under RCW 84.36.381(5) - currently $40,000 - and/or low-income disabled persons may qualify for the following discounted to their single-family residence utility bills (BIMC 13.16.082 through 086, Ordinance Nos. 92-26, 2005-26 and 2017-15, Resolution Nos. 2003-01, 2005-04, and 2005-26):
|Storm Drain||50% Reduction|
- To Apply, submit the Low-Income Seniors/Low-Income Disabled Citizens Fee Reduction Application (Fillable PDF) to Utility Billing. Contact Utility Billing at (206) 780-8614 or email@example.com.
If you have concerns or questions regarding the quality of your water, call COBI Public Works & Engineering, Operations & Maintenance at (206) 842-1212.
See reports below for 2019 testing:
Maps & Resources:
|Emerald Heights Water||(206) 842-2384|
|Island Utilities (KPUD)||(800) 739-6766 / (360) 337-5285|
|Kitsap Public Health District (KPUD)||(800) 739-6766 / (360) 337-5285|
|Phelps Water||(360) 779-7094|
|Port Madison Water||(206) 842-1204|
|South Bainbridge Water (KPUD)||(800) 739-6766 / (360) 337-5285|
Bainbridge Island Water Systems:
City of Bainbridge Island Sewer Service Area: