City of Bainbridge Island - Winslow Wastewater Treatment Plant Capacity Upgrades
The City of Bainbridge Island (City) is soliciting qualifications from consultant firms with experience in the evaluation, design and operations related to the upgrade of the Winslow Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP). The plant is meeting all discharge limits during normal operations; however, recent high waste stream loads have led to the plant exceeding the facility’s design criteria outlined in the City’s Department of Ecology (DOE) discharge permit. These exceedances require that the City engage with DOE in the short term on a plan for increasing the rating capacity of plant, as well as begin planning and implementation of recommended operational or physical changes to the plant that will increase capacity.
The City has performed some preliminary evaluation work on the potential options and next steps, and envisions this work proceeding in three distinct phases:
- Working with the City and DOE to develop and implement a plan for increasing the rating capacity of plant in the near (1-2 years) and long (4-10 years) term;
- Design engineering and implementation of short-term plant improvements to existing plant processes to increase capacity. These improvements could include adding diffusers to the plant’s second anoxic/anaerobic zones; and,
- Engaging with DOE on the preliminary evaluation of a plan for meeting the Puget Sound Nutrient General Permit. This work could include the development of monitoring requirements and the creation of a Nitrogen Optimization Plan.
A link to the City’s General Sewer Plan, which contains more information about the existing collection and treatment systems, can be found at the following link:https://www.bainbridgewa.gov/679/General-Sewer-Plan-Final-Draft---March-2
Requirements for Qualifications Responses (as applicable)
- Identify each person involved with the project including any technical partners and describe their respective roles, including:
- Information regarding each member’s experience and qualifications.
- Resume of key team members.
- Description of how the team will be organized and led.
- Identify the project lead and their relationship to other members of the team.
- Describe the consultant’s relevant project experience with similar projects. Projects described must illustrate the consultant’s experience with preparing documents, designs and plans similar in scope to the proposed project. Provide client references for relevant projects.
Evaluation of RFQ responses will be based upon the following:
- Success in developing similar projects.
- Quality of representative projects.
- Qualifications of project team and key project managers, including references.
- Demonstrated creativity and outside-the-box thinking.
General Provisions and Conditions
The City reserves the right to:
- Reject any and all responses.
- Waive minor irregularities in a response.
- Cancel, revise, or extend this solicitation.
- Request additional information on any response beyond that required by this RFP.
- Have the final decision on the selection.
- Modify the timeline and to issue addenda to this document.
This project is scheduled to start in February 2022 and extend for approximately one-year.
January 7, 2022
Week of January 24, 2022
Week of January 31, 2022
If you are interested in pursuing this project, we invite you to submit a proposal.
The budget project this project will be based on a project plan negotiated after the selection of the consultant.
Interested consultants must submit an electronic copy of the response to the RFQ. The City will become owner of all submitted materials and will not pay any costs related to any responses to the RFQ. All consultants must demonstrate compliance with the City’s insurance requirements at the time of contract approval and obtain a City Business License.
The deadline for this RFP is 4:00 PM, Friday January 7, 2022, Pacific Standard Time. Only emailed submissions will be accepted.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Information
The City of Bainbridge Island in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act (Section 504) and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), commits to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability, in all its programs and activities. This material can be made available in an alternate format by emailing or by calling collect 206.842.2545.
Title VI Notice
The City of Bainbridge Island in accordance with the provisions of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (78 Stat. 252, 42 U.S.C. 2000d to 2000d-4) and the Regulations, hereby notifies all bidders that it will affirmatively ensure that any contract entered into pursuant to this advertisement, disadvantaged business enterprises will be afforded full and fair opportunity to submit bids in response to this invitation and will not be discriminated against on the grounds of race, color, or national origin in consideration for an award.