Fees & Penalties
Business License Application Fees
The fee for new and renewed Business Licenses is $65. Nonprofit Organizations are exempt from the Business License Application fee.
BLS adds an additional processing fee to cover licensing processing, mailing, and other costs. Nonprofits will be charged the BLS fees.
- Approximately six (6) weeks before your current City business license expires, BLS will send you a license renewal letter with instructions to renew through BLS. Payment is easily accepted online with E-check or credit card.
- If you prefer to renew your license by mail using the BLS renewal form, the form and a check, made payable to the Washington Department of Revenue, must reach BLS before the license expiration date.
- BLS will assess a a late filing fee for renewals received after the expiration date. A license is automatically closed after 120 days if no payment is received.
See Frequently Asked Questions for information on applying for a City Business License.
Business and Occupation Tax Penalties
Business and Occupation (B&O) Taxes are paid annually for the previous calendar year. B&O Tax Returns and any payment is required on or before April 15th of the current calendar year to avoid penalties.
- Minimum penalty on all late returns where tax is due is $5.
- There is no penalty on late returns when there is no tax due.
Nonprofit Organizations are responsible for B&O Taxes on all for-profit activities.
See the Business & Occupation Tax webpage for detailed information regarding City B&O Taxes.
|For Tax Payments Received by the City||Penalty Due|
|January 1 - April 15||$0|
|May 31||Add 5% of total tax due|
|June 1 - June 30||Add 15% of total tax due|
|July 1 or later||Add 25% of total tax due|