- Get Involved
- Neighborhood Preparedness
Map Your Neighborhood
Following a disaster, you may have to wait days, weeks, or longer before help can arrive or before power can be restored to your neighborhood. Map Your Neighborhood will provide a plan to bring your community together in a time of need. Working together you can reduce the serious consequences of disaster in your neighborhood.
Map Your Neighborhood will help you learn the following:
- Learn the steps to take immediately following a disaster to secure your homes and protect your neighborhood.
- Identify the skills and equipment each neighbor has that are useful for an effective and timely disaster response. Knowing which neighbor has supplies and skills helps your disaster response be timely, and allows everyone to contribute in a meaningful way.
- Identify the locations of propane tanks in the neighborhood so they can be shut off if necessary.
- Establish a neighborhood contact list that helps identify those with specific needs such as the elderly, disabled, or children who may be home alone during certain hours of the day.
- Work together as a team to evaluate your neighborhood during the first hour following a disaster and take the necessary actions.
Current Map of "Mapped" Neighborhoods
Review the MYN Island Overview Map (PDF) (current as of July 14, 2022) and see if your neighborhood has been "mapped".
Ready to get started?
Contact Emergency Management Coordinator Anne LeSage to request copies of the Map Your Neighborhood booklets, flyers and other materials needed to initiate the process in your neighborhood.
Want to learn more? Watch the Intro to Map Your Neighborhood Video
Map Your Neighborhood Program - YouTube