Police Station and Municipal Court Building
The City completed the purchase of the existing Harrison Medical Center Building on Jan. 31, 2020 to be the site of a new Police and Municipal Court facility. The City purchased the building for $8.975 million.
The property, located at 8804 Madison Avenue N, includes a 3.13-acre parcel and an existing two-story building with approximately 18,000 square feet of space. Based on feasibility studies performed in 2018, the approximate cost for the project, including property purchase and renovations, is estimated to be $20 million.
In April or May 2021, the City’s project management team expects to receive a building permit and will then be ready to advertise the project for construction bids.
Because we will have a new City Manager beginning his role at the City on May 17, and because of the ongoing Council and community conversation about the project, staff plans to wait until May to advertise for bids to ensure that the Council and its new City Manager continue this very important community project with a shared understanding of its development and ongoing approach.
Construction could begin in the summer or fall of 2021.
April 6, 2021
Council and staff discussed the project, including staff’s recommendation to wait until the new City Manager arrives before advertising for construction bids. Staff is continuing to complete the permit and design phase of the project.
March 9, 2021
The City Council on March 9 directed Interim City Manager Ellen Schroer to begin research into hiring an independent auditor to review the purchase of the Harrison property.
The Council discussed potentially setting up an oversight committee for the construction phase of the project.
Staff is waiting for the Council to decide on next steps before seeking bids for construction.
Watch the March 9 Council discussion here.
- Why is the City seeking to build a new police and municipal court building?
- Why did the City choose Harrison as the site?
- How did the City arrive at the $8.975 million purchase price?
- Did the purchase of the Harrison building include medical equipment?
- How did the City pay for the building?
- What is the current estimated cost of the Police/Court Facility?
- Did the City overpay for the building?
- Why is the Council now discussing the costs?
- What’s the status of the project?
- What happens if the Council decides to put this project on hold?