Historic Preservation Commission
Seeking Blakely Award Nominations - Deadline for Submissions June 15, 2022 - Nomination Form
Seeking Volunteers - Apply Now
The City of Bainbridge Island welcomes the participation of volunteers in serving our Island community through advisory groups.
Please complete the form if you are interested in serving. Once completed, this form will become part of the City's Volunteer Roster. Please note: once submitted, this application becomes a public record. Your address and contact information will not be shared.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Applications will be considered active for one year.
Regular Meeting Schedule
- Meets the first Thursday of every month 2 to 4 p.m. (unless otherwise noted)
- Location: Council Conference Room
Information on Role of Councilmember Liaisons.
Agendas and Minutes
Purpose and Mission
The Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) consists of seven members who are appointed by the Mayor and approved by the City Council in accordance with the City’s Historic Preservation Program (BIMC 18.24). In 2004, the Historic Preservation Program earned status as a Certified Local Government (CLG), a certification established by the National Historic Preservation Act and, in Washington State, administered by the Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation (DAHP). Responsibilities of a CLG include maintaining a Historic Preservation Commission, surveying local historic properties, enforcing state or local preservation laws, reviewing National Register Nominations, and providing for public participation in historic preservation activities.
The mission of the HPC is to advocate for the preservation of historically significant buildings, structures, sites, objects, and districts. The HPC establishes, maintains, and updates the local historic inventory, local historic register, heritage tree register, and identifies register eligible properties. Additionally, the HPC reviews nominations to the local, state, and national registers, minor conditional use permits for zoning relief, changes or alterations to local historic register or register eligible properties, demolition permits, and special valuation of historic properties.
Contact City Staff Liaison:
Kelly Tayara, Senior Planner
206.780.3787 or email@example.com
- Heritage Tree Nomination Form
- Historic Register Nomination Form
- List of Approved Heritage Trees
- Bainbridge Island Municipal Code (BIMC) - Historic Preservation Program (Chapter 18.24)Historical Assessor’s Record
- National Park Service US Department of the Interior – Technical Preservation Services
- The Secretary of The Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties with Guidelines
- Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation (DAHP)
- Special Tax Valuation
Research a Property
- Bainbridge Island Historical Museum
- Bainbridge Public Library
- Washington Information System for Architectural & Archaeological Records Data (WISAARD) - Historic Property Inventory Forms
- Kitsap County Assessor Historical Documents