What is the Right of Way?

The city right-of-way is the area under, on, and above the roadways and sidewalks. The width of the right-of-way varies but generally extends 25 - 60 feet beyond the roadway pavement. The Right-of-way may include curbs, gutters, vegetation, pipelines, power, telephone, and other utility infrastructure.
Right of Way Use Construction Vehicle Holding Cones

Why do I need a Right-of-Way permit?

COBI adopted a Right-of-Way Use Ordinance in August 2014 to regulate activities in the city’s right-of-way. Because the right-of-way is city owned the city has the responsibility to control the use of activities in the right-of-way and does so in the interest of public health, safety, and welfare.

  1. PErmit REquirements
  2. Submittal PRocess

• Right-Of-Way Use Permit Application – must be completed and signed

Cost Estimate

Site Plan – Working scale, shows location of work, name & width of streets & the relative position of proposed work to existing utilities

Traffic Control Plan (TCP) 

Traffic Impact Form (TIF) – for any projects impacting traveled roadways

Certificate of Liability Insurance – proof of insurance with the COBI listed as additional insured

Surety Bond – required if cost estimate is >$1,500.00. Bond must be for 125% of the cost estimate

• Adding or improving a driveway approach

• Adding, improving, or maintaining a public or private utility

• Adding or improving a sidewalk or non-motorized path

• Adding storm water to or improving a roadside drainage system

• Closing a section of road for a parade, celebration, festival, demonstration, or similar activity

• Grading or excavation, landscaping, tree planting, tree trimming or tree removal

• Temporary blockage of streets and sidewalk, for uses such as moving trucks or vans, dumpsters, scaffolds, and lifting equipment.

• House/modular/mobile moving.

• Special and unique structures such as fountains, clocks, flagpoles, benches, banners, and decorations in the right-of-way.

Permit Type
Type A - Short Term Use
Temporary street and / or sidewalk closures or blockage ( Moving trucks/ vans, dumpsters, scaffolds, lifting equipment, house/modular/mobile moving, oversize loads, special events.
30 Days
Type B1- Disturbance of the Right-of-Way
Disturbance of the surface or the subsurface of the right-of-way on a temporary or permanent basis (boring, jacking, cutting, or pushing; culverts, curb cuts, handicap ramps, driveway approaches, curbs, gutters, and sidewalks, drainage, painting, paving, trenching, utility installation, road approaches, new streets/unopened rights-of-way)
30 Days
Type B2 - Annual Bulk Purchase Right-of-Way Permit
Available to utility companies; 
  1. That fully comply with city engineering standards for road restoration using control density fill ( CDF for perpendicular cuts and full lane repaving for all other disturbances
  2. Guarantee restoration of any failures within 2 years of the final work day at the permitted site
  3. Are secured by the required bonding
1 Year
 Each B1 Permit issued under Bulk Purchase
Disturbance of the surface or the subsurface of the right of way on a temporary or permanent basis (Reference Type B1 above )
30 Days
Type C - Long Term Use
Long-term right-of-way use for activities that will not further physically disturb the right of way once in place
5 Years
Type D - Franchised Utility
Franchised utilities only; performing routine maintenance on existing overhead lines and entry into existing underground facilities. Does not authorize disturbance of the surface or subsurface.
1 Year

Related Documents