As graduation approaches, the City’s Public Works department would like to make clear that painting streets and street signs is vandalism that costs the City (and taxpayers) needless time and money and is considered a crime. Below are just a few points to consider.
- Painting on signs usually damages the finish and requires costly sign replacement. It also obstructs sign legibility, which can cause accidents.
- Painting in the roadway is dangerous – for “painters” and drivers.
- Driving over wet paint damages vehicles, at the car owner’s expense.
- Water tower painting is highly dangerous and can be extremely costly if the tank sanitary barriers are compromised.
- Paint of any sort can damage the environment – inappropriately discarding extra paint is detrimental to plants, animals, and all that depend on a clean water supply.
Grads and parents, please keep these risks in mind. Even though this activity has been popular in the past, it’s an activity with unintended and costly consequences.